Key West is one of the world’s most popular vacation destinations.
It’s a small island, known for warm weather, good beaches, fun nightlife, and a rich history. Oh, and bars, restaurants, Fantasy Fest, and wild partying.
Some of the best things to do in Key West include:
- Visit the Hemingway House: Hemingway’s historic home was obviously the residence of Ernest Hemingway. Now it’s a museum, and one of the most visited places in Key West. The museum is open to the public, but there is a fee to enter. Visitors can walk around the house and see Hemingway’s residence, writing studio, his gardens and his swimming pool. The Hemingway House is also famous because of his unusual cats.
- Explore the Key West Lighthouse and Keeper’s Quarters Museum: The Key West Lighthouse is beautiful, and a great place to visit! The lighthouse was built in 1847, and was an important landmark for sailors and ships. The lighthouse has beautiful views of the island and it’s a great spot for photography. The lighthouse museum, also on the grounds, gives a glimpse into the history of the lighthouse and the lives of the lightkeepers who lived and worked in the lighthouse.
- Go snorkeling or diving: The waters around Key West can be crystal-clear, and offer some of the clearest waters in Florida. The waters are home to a many forms of of marine life, from tiny marine organisms to sharks and even whales, occasionally. Overall Key West is a great destination for snorkeling and diving, although you must take a boat tour to go offshore, and it can be expensive. There are many companies that offer scuba and snorkel tours, as well as rental equipment.
- Take a sunset cruise: Key West is famous for its beautiful sunsets. They’re beautiful, and free! One of the best ways to experience a sunset in Key West is by taking a sunset boat cruise. Many companies offer sunset cruises, they’re all pretty similar experiences, although the boat, price and location to vary. Most tours include live music, alcoholic beverages, non-alcoholic drinks, and snacks. Some offer fancy dinners, too.
- Visit the Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory: This is a tropical paradise! The beautiful grounds are home to hundreds of live birds, butterflies, reptiles, and many other animals. Visitors can walk through the gardens, grounds and conservatory. It’s a great way to see many beautiful creatures up close.
Some other popular activities include:
- Visiting the Key West Aquarium
- Touring the Audubon House and Tropical Gardens
- Exploring Key West’s Old Town area
These are just a few of the my favorite things to do in Key West. There are tons of other things to do even though it’s a small island. Did I miss something? Please let me know!